Fourth of July Weekend

The weekend started on a bad note on Friday. For whatever reason, I was just in one of those moods. Maybe its that I haven't gotten a job yet or what, but I was feeling kinda depressed. Its times like these I'm glad I have my hubby. He came home with gifts to help me feel better. He got me some cupcakes (rootbeer float, chocolate chip cheesecake and red velvet flavors). And he also got me a framed picture of the Bruins after winning the Stanley Cup.

I have also decided that I want to start a hat and fascinator making business. My sister is also considering doing it with me. Right now, I'm in the process of learning everything I can, drawing my ideas, and buying the things I need. Friday night, we bought a pad of paper and some pencils so I can have a nice clean place to draw my ideas.

On Saturday morning, the hubby and I went out for a bike ride. Our goal was to do 66 miles, but it ended up only being 20 miles for me. There are these little green buds that are flowering on some of the trees right now around here and I think I'm allergic to them. Whenever I go outside by them, I get itchy everywhere and I break out in hives and it happened again on Saturday, cutting my ride short. It was just too unbearable. I have started taking some allergy medicine again (I usually only need it in spring and fall) and it seems to be helping. I plan on making up the ride tomorrow morning.

That evening, we went out to dinner at this restaurant by the Boston harbor and then followed it up with some whale watching. We didn't know what to expect. We kinda thought it would be hit or miss whether or not we would see whales, but the company does a great job of tracking the whales and knowing where they will be. We happened to catch them on a night where there were 17 different whales feeding in one place. The tour guide said that they typically feed in smaller groups so this was very unusual to see so many. The only thing that stunk about the trip was that it took 1 hour and 45 minutes by boat to get there and then we only got to whale watch for 30 minutes. It was a lot of boating for not a lot of watching. We did get some great pictures though.
Me waiting for the boat

Boston Harbor Lighthouse

Double Whale tail

Eating - nom

We got super close!!

I think this picture is so cute and almost looks like a painting

Love this picture too


Boston skyline at night from the sea
On Sunday morning, I went out for an 11.3 mile run. Following that, hubby and I went down to Patriot Place in Foxboro, MA to pick up his packet for the 10K he was doing on Monday. We spent some time there looking around at the shops and the stadium. We spent most of the day relaxing (and not packing like we probably should be).

Monday morning brought a really hot and humid race morning. On one hand, I wished I was doing the race too, but on the other hand, I was dying just sitting in the heat waiting for hubby to finish. I'll let him do most of the race recap at his blog, but here are some pictures I took. The finish line was on the 50 yard line of the New England Patriots stadium. But right now, its soccer season, so it was really at the center line of the New England Revolution stadium, but I think I was the only one there who thought that was cooler than the 50 yard line.
The start...note Rick and Dick Hoyt on the right

Now those are running skirts

I would never wear a Captain America uniform in that heat

Male winner and Olympic triathlete...Jarrod Shoemaker

Hubby finishing (he's the one in the red shirt just behind the finish line
We spent the rest of the day resting and napping. We had gone to the Boston fireworks last year and sat outside all day to see a 20 minute firework show. This year, we were just going to walk over last minute and watch from wherever we could. It was a much better plan. We got to watch the Boston Pops' concert on TV this time around instead of not seeing it at all. The fireworks were...well...fireworks. You know, lots of smiley faces, sparkles, sizzles, and so on. The usual.

This time last year, we were two days away from going to London and Paris. I wish I were going again this year. I LOVE Europe. Maybe next year?

How was your holiday weekend? Did you do anything fun?


Barb said...

I would love to go back to Europe too. Had a lot of fun both times we have been. Nothing exciting here on the 4th. Recovered from photographing 2 weddings in the heat & humidity over the weekend.
The whale watching looks like a lot of fun.

Edie said...

Chocolate chip cheesecake? Root beer float? Where did he pick up those cupcakes? With flavors like that, I might even learn to like cake.

Colleen said...

Looks like you had a great weekend! Those pictures of the whales are amazing! :)

Rachelle said...

The cupcakes were from a little boutique cupcake shop near hubby's office.

Post a Comment